- Work: After your presentation, your boss comments that it was good, but she had higher expectations. Are you mad, focus on her flaws and think about how incompetent she is?
- Commute: Every day you deal with inconsiderate drivers on your hour commute to work. Today, construction traffic made you late for an appointment. Do you dread the drive and complain incessantly about it?
- Family: Your sister backed out of having 50 relatives for Thanksgiving. She expects you to host it for the 3rd year in a row. Do you bad mouth her to everyone who will listen and begrudgingly host Thanksgiving?
- Friends: Your friend borrowed a few dresses and has been forgetting to return them for 6 months. Do you complain to your other friends about what a flake she is?
- Love: Your significant other forgot your anniversary. Do you question your relationship and use the silent treatment as punishment?
- Health: The scale said you gained 5 pounds. Are you depressed, call yourself fat, then head to the fridge?
- Ex: While trying to co-parent your kids, you two end up arguing over kids' issues and money. Do you tell your kids what a cheapskate and loser the other parent is?
Yuck! After thinking of all that, I feel like I need a bath! I guess I'll just settle for cleansing my mind.
On Twitter, the Dishy Divorcee gave a glimpse of how she lives her life: "My motto has been better, not bitter...definitely NOT easy." The Dishy Divorcee is so wise! (Check out her blog: http://www.dishydivorcee.com/.)
We may not be able to control everything that happens to us, but we can control how we react and feel. See how some of the following work for you:
- Take a deep breath in...and a deep breath out.
- Reflect before reacting.
- Be thankful
- Let go
It may not always be easy, but it can be done. Choose to be positive. Choose to not let circumstances control your emotions. Choose to be better. And remember...
Attitude is Everything,
So Pick a Good One.
May you always remember to be better,
Lisa ~ a Whimsical Sol